[thelist] IE7 confuddlement

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Jul 12 23:27:31 CDT 2006

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Paul Bennett
: Sent: Thursday, 13 July 2006 2:17 PM
: To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
: Subject: Re: [thelist] IE7 confuddlement
:
: >I don't know what Andy Clarke said at Mix06. In fact, until today,
: >I'd never heard of him. I don't see why releasing VPC for free
: >would have anything to do with what a web design company's
: >creative director would say though.
:
: http://www.stuffandnonsense.co.uk/
:
: You haven't heard of him but you know he's a 'web design company's
: creative director'? ;) (Kidding Ken, I'm guessing you Googled...)

I did said "until today" :-)

Today I heard of him, and I went and found out what he did for a living.

: There was a bit of talk in the panel discussion about the need for
: developers to be able to reliably run multiple versions of  IE for
: testing.
:
: I was just wondering....

I doubt it has anything to do with IE specifically. I carry around about 20
VPCs every day, none of which were created for the purposes of checking out
how IE behaves. There are lots of things that you generally can't run
multiple versions of simultaneously (or which don't support "uninstallation"
when you upgrade them) - databases and directories are two that spring to
mind. Virtualisation is for lots of things.

And if you've wanted to run multiple versions of IE, VMWare Workstation has
been around for years.

Cheers
Ken

--
My IIS Blog: www.adOpenStatic.com/cs/blogs/ken
Tech.Ed Sydney: learn all about IIS 7.0 - See you there!