[thelist] SBS Exchange & Hosting problem

lists - ARKAD Solutions lists at arkad.co.uk
Fri Jul 14 08:17:16 CDT 2006

Afternoon all

I'm sure someone out there can point out what I am doing wrong with this...

2k3 SBS server, it used to host a website and also run exchange (on only
512mb of ram - no don't laugh).

The site is now hosted externally and the email should still be on the
exchange server, however there are a few things confusing me.

The domain has 2 subdomains:-

mail.domain.com
owa.domain.com

I've changed the ANAME record to point at the external host ip address and
the site appears to work fine (as long as you are not on their network).

Subdomain records have been created pointing to the original ip address (the
sbs servers static ip addy).

Within the DNS records on the SBS server, I changed the www record to point
at the external ip of the site host.

The problems are:

1) the email (mail.domain.com) isn't working... traceroute goes 4 hops
before timing out, owa.domain.com says it is "unable to resolve target
system name" and doesn't even manage a single hop.

2) The website isn't visible from within the domain, but is visible if you
are not on the network.

Any ideas ??

TIA

Darren