[thelist] Accented characters inconsistencies

Chris at globet.com Chris at globet.com
Tue Jul 18 08:25:23 CDT 2006

Christy

[..]

> > The problem is in the code:
> > correct: "<li>100% natürliche Wirkstoffe </li>"
> > wrong: "<h1>Natur hŠlt jung</h1>"
> >
> > Copy /paste again the text, or if that doesn't work, copy/paste it
> > into a plain text file first, to remove any formatting from Word.
> >
> > best,
> > dan
>
> Thanks for your reply
> Those characters have changed after being uploaded to the server.
> They don't appear that way on my local files.  I have tried
> copying and pasting into a plain text file before adding it
> to the page without success.  What really boggles my mind is
> how the title tag, which was copied from the the working home
> page, not the MS Word document, has changed.

Try pasting your entire HTML file into Notepad, ensuring that the characters are being rendered correctly. Specify UTF-8 rather than ISO-8859-1 as the character set in your meta tags. Save the document, specifying UTF-8 as the encoding. This will ensure that you have encoded the characters correctly for the character set that you define in your HTML document.

If you experience the same problems after you upload the file, try uploading the file under a new filename and see if the new file has the same issues. If so, try FTPing the file specifying binary rather than text transfer. You may have incorrect line breaks in the document in this case (or maybe not, depending on the platforms that you are transferring between), but at least you can see whether or not it solves your encoding problem.

HTH

--
Chris Marsh
Software Developer
e: chris at globet.com
w: http://www.globet.com/

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and not necessarily the Company. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential and privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete it from your system.