[thelist] CSS layout changes

Rickards, Julian (NDM) julian.rickards at ndm.gov.on.ca
Thu Jul 20 09:59:35 CDT 2006

Hi John:

<snip>My reason for declaring this page XHTML 1.1 Strict was simply
because another person on TheList who had helped me with the header of
this layout suggested doing so.  I have no problem at all with using
another DTD/namespace, so long as I can find a valid declaration for
it.</snip>

I must admit that I haven't heard of XHTML 1.1 *Strict* before because
the Strict designation was used in HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 to separate
them from Transitional and Frameset.

<snip>Perhaps the most frustrating part about all this: Dreamweaver's
preview shows the page almost precisely the way I'd like it to look.
Do you use DW for CSS-based layouts?  Are there any good alternatives
for WinXP systems?</snip>

Firefox? Opera? LOL

I have recently created a layout for a client and it renders terribly in
DW but is fine in Opera, Firefox and IE. I wouldn't depend on DW all the
time, especially for layout (text styling is fine).

Jules