[thelist] preventing (further) attempts to spam a site

Sarah Adams mrsanders at designshift.com
Thu Jul 20 10:10:16 CDT 2006

> I use a .htaccess file with, for example:
>
> SecFilterEngine On
> <snip>
>
> Actually, my list of REMOTE_ADDR's + HTTP_REFERER's has more than 300
> lines. This way apache's mod_security denies access even before the
> spammer hits my index.php
> Works like a charm.

The problem with this solution is that I'd have to add IPs, referers,
etc manually. I'm looking for a solution that will recognize attempts to
spam a form (e.g. by checking for email headers or html) and then do...
something... to prevent that spammer from returning.

--
sarah adams
web developer & programmer