[thelist] Viewing sites that link to a page with Google

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 13:27:31 CDT 2006

On 7/25/06, Brian Cummiskey <Brian at hondaswap.com> wrote:

> misterhaan wrote:
> > search for link:example.org
> While this is the correct response, the tool is pretty
> useless/inaccurate/broken IMO.
>
> A better way is to "search for your site, excluding your site"
> paste this into google:  .yoursite. -site:yoursite.com
> replacing yoursite with your domain name.  This looks for the text of your
> domain from all sites NOT in your domain.
> for me, the link: tool returns 64 results, where as this method returns
> almost 14,000.  Big difference.

Wow, that made a BIG difference for me as well. One of my sites went from 4
to 121 links! I always thought the results for link: seemed odd, but I
figured Google just worked.

Can you group sites to exclude? For example, I'd like to filter out
questions sitting in thelist archive that show up pointing to my sites.

Hey...

<faq author="Brian Cummiskey" version="1" id="10">
<question>How do I find what sites are linking to mine using
Google?</question>
<answer>The best way is to "search for your site, excluding your site"-
paste this into google:  .yoursite. -site:yoursite.com
replacing yoursite with your domain name. This will produce more reliable
results than the "link:" method.</answer>
</faq>

Dean, Chris - problem. There's really no way of knowing what 'id' number is
the next in line. (Thus I put 10). Any ideas?

Tom