[thelist] bogus referrer?

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Mon Jul 31 11:53:14 CDT 2006

On 06/07/30 21:57 (GMT-0400) Shawn K. Quinn apparently typed:

> On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 02:38 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

>> I frequently like to see the pages that show as referrer in my
>> access_log. I just tried one from an IE6/NT 5.1 browser
>> "http://www.insurance-info-auto-life-health.com/", but  Gecko shows me a
>> "not found" page for it. So, I tried a ping to the referring IP, which
>> worked, and consequently tried that IP http://70.87.208.34/ , which was
>> "no website configured at this address page". Can anyone explain why a
>> referral from a non-existent web site would show in an access_log?

> It's a very obtuse form of spamming, taking full advantage of the fact
> that the Referer header can be set to anything one darn well pleases.

Plenty obtuse. What's in it for the spammer? Practice littering the
internet with garbage and bottlenecks?
--
"If you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord', and believe in
your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409