[thelist] Fancy text blending with PHP/GD

Micky Hulse micky at ambiguism.com
Tue Aug 1 13:49:52 CDT 2006

Brooking, John wrote:
> Thanks for the reference, but I don't know if I'd call that a
> "watermark", it's really just plain text on the image. That's pretty
> and I'm not sure I can invest the time to learn. Unless anyone here
> would like a challenge...  ;-)

Ahhhh, I see. Yeah, sorry, I just signed-up for this list a day ago...
so I did not see original post (hehe, I took a shot in the dark, really.)

:D

Hmmm, I do not have too much exp. with Image Magick or GD, but it seems
like you could create a transparent png and then use PHP to merge that
with your paintings... you know, overlay it on top.

Check-out imagecopymerge, and all the other functions available to left
of this page:
<http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.imagecopymerge.php>

Have you thought about using a Photoshop droplet[1] or action[2]? IIRC,
Even older versions of  Photoshop (find them cheap $$) can do this sort
of thing. Makes things really easy in terms of automation.

At my current job, a newspaper, in order for us to process the daily
images for the website, we use a cron job, applescript, and photoshop
actions - basically the cron is set to fire-off the applescript early in
the morning, and the applescript powers-up Photoshop and processes the
images... Oh, and then we use another applescript to upload the images
to the proper folders on the server.

Well, I am sure you will figure it out soon enough.  :)

Gl,
Cheers.
Micky

[1] <http://www.digitalphotobook.net/tutorials/actions/actions_9.html>
[2] An action is a series of commands that you play back on a single
file or a batch of files.