[thelist] Harware question for enterprise application

Randal Rust randalrust at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 21:20:31 CDT 2006

> It does seem to be overkill, but it really depends on how intensive each
> user's operations are, and how powerful your servers are.

well, we seem to get by just fine with one of each in the current
environment. i just think that we are trying to gouge our client
because we have a partnership with dell. seeing as i am the client
manager, and that jeopardizes our relationship, i'm none too pleased.

> For only 650 users, for most web apps, you can probably get by with 1 (or 2)
> load balanced web boxes, and a single decent database server (which you may
> wish to cluster Active/Passive if you want high availability).

and that makes all the sense in the world to me.

> in load testing, we are able to support 6000 users across 6 load balanced web servers

what do you use for load testing?

--
Randal Rust