[thelist] XHTML 1.0 and target

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue Aug 8 16:48:38 CDT 2006

I'm working on a site that uses:

But delivers the content as text/html.

I realize it probably should be HTML 4.01 instead, but that's besides
the point at this time.

Link targets are not valid in xhtml.  There's quite a few pages about
extending the DTD for including target, but it seems like it's not
that well supported of a solution.  The other solution I see posted
quite a bit is to use javascript window.open(), which I'm not very
fond of doing.

Anyone using valid XHTML 1.0 Strict and using target to popup links in a
separate window?  What's your solution?

This is for "external links" -- the client wants them to open in a
new window.  Personally, I think it should be up to the user to
follow links as they see fit -- I hate it when new windows open, I'd
rather control that myself as the end user.  I might want to open it
in a new tab, for example.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org