[thelist] marking up an address

Phil Pickering phildpickering at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 9 09:57:28 CDT 2006

> I heard, although I didn't confirm it, that Dan Cederholm
> used a definition list to markup his Mission Statement and Motto on his
> SimpleBits site but that is more like an associative list than a
> definition. If I remember correctly, the W3C marks up a conversation
> with a definition list but Tantek disagrees vehemently with that
> example.

Dan Cederholm uses definition lists on simplebits.com a lot... he
quotes in his book "Web Standards Solutions" from the W3C HTML 4.01
spec:

"Definition lists, created using the <dl> element, generally consist
of a series of term/definition pairs (although definition lists may
have other applications)."

>From that, he suggests that definition lists "can be used for dialog,
navigation, and even form layouts", and goes on to say "Don't be
afraid to use definition lists for purposes other than common
term/description pairings."

That seems to pretty much throw out the idea of definition lists
having any sort of semantic meaning...

Getting back to formatting addresses... it suddenly dawned on me that
I bet this topic came up on one of Dan's SimpleQuiz's... and it did
(via Dave Shea):

http://www.simplebits.com/notebook/2004/08/04/sq.html

Interesting conversation... :)

Phil