[thelist] Search within these results?

Casey Crookston caseyc at IntelliSoftmn.com
Thu Aug 17 10:53:58 CDT 2006

Ok here I go again with another "what's the best way to..." question.
In ASP.NET....

On my little yellow pages website, a user searches for, say,
"restaurants" and gets a couple hundred results.  Now, we need to offer
him the chance to "Search Within These Results".

1)       On the initial search, I can put it all into a DataTable
(memory resident table).  On a second or third search within the initial
search, we can then refine the data in the DataTable.  This works well
in theory, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to run a query
against a DataTable.  IE: do you need to open a connection to it?  I'm
aware that the data can be filtered via DataViews, but from reading up
on this kind of filtering it doesn't seem to be as powerful as an actual
query.

2)       Forget the DataTable. When a second search is performed, just
append it to the first search and query the database:  first search AND
second search

What would you do?

Thanks,

Casey