[thelist] Interesting new Browser history sniffing trick

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Tue Aug 22 18:35:50 CDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-23-08 at 00:11 +0100, jason.handby wrote:
> > Must be a Windows thing, no history of where I've been is
> > showing in the "I know where you've been" area using Firefox
> > and Fedora, and there's oodles of items in todays history cache...
>
> It's only able to "fish" for URLs it knows about, to see if they're in
> your cache. So if you haven't been to a URL it knows about then it won't
> show up in the list.

The sites I've been to today are common, like CNN, NYT,
whatreallyhappened.com, boston.com, comics.com, cbc.ca etc... I 'spose
he's just got a small list in his array of URL's and just my luck the
surfing I've done today isn't one of them, oh well...

> And I can't see why it wouldn't work on Firefox/Fedora, given that it
> works on Firefox/Windows...?

Understand now how that works, followed the link from CH to a few years
ago - I don't see the effect because of the limited list of URL's for
this example, nothing to do with operating systems per se and a pure css
feature/bug, thanks for helping clear that up for me!

--
cheers,

        Mark