[thelist] what percentage uses webmail?

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 13:54:31 CDT 2006

On 8/23/06, Marc <css at delime.com> wrote:
> Had an interesting experience with one of my banks this morning, tried to
> send them a question via their website only to discover it still uses
> mailto: to process the form. I'm primarily a webmail user these days,
> haven't even got a pop email client configured so naturally it failed.

Ouch. I'd get a new bank. I do online banking most of the time, and
that wouldn't make me too confident in their technical skills.

> Does anyone have stats on what percentage of email users use webmail these
> days? Or ideas where I might be able to find this sort of data.

I'm not sure that data is really available (and if it is, whether it's
accurate). I think most people at least have a gmail or yahoo or
hotmail account, although I think for a lot of people that is not
their primary email account. For example, I'm stuck with using Outlook
for my primary email account, because it is used heavily at work.

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA