[thelist] web platform recommendations

John DeStefano john.destefano at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 09:18:19 CDT 2006

My organization is looking for a better Web platform.  Right now,
they're using a Twiki for static content, like general information and
procedures, and very primitive HTML pages to serve dynamic content,
which is driven by scripts (in a few different languages) that collect
and display scientific data.  The Twiki fits their needs in some ways,
as it provides something of a structural and aesthetic backbone while
permitting non-Web types to edit their own content.  However, it has
proven to be somewhat limited in many capacities, including a need for
tiered data organization and assigning permissions.

Most of the core requirements are the usual suspects:
- scalability
- high-availability
- a relatively simple content publishing scheme
- granular security for users and groups
- support for static, dynamic, and "community" (user-contributed) content
- multi-tiered navigation and data organization
- Linux platform (specifically Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4)

I have a few ideas (leaning toward one in particular), but I would
appreciate your weighing in with thoughts at any level.

With many thanks, as always,
~John