[thelist] external CSS style application in JSP and Firefox

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 08:37:04 CDT 2006

On 8/28/06, John DeStefano <john.destefano at gmail.com> wrote:

> It makes me wonder whether the error is related to a MIME type setting
> on the server, except for two things:
> - the server admin swears that the MIME type for CSS has been set
> properly (how would you go about verifying this?)

Request the file and look at the response headers. Use telnet, Ethereal,
the LiveHTTPHeaders Firefox extension, or ... many possibilities, easy to

> - if it were a server MIME setting, why would IE be able to interpret
> the style, while Firefox wouldn't?

IE lets you get away with lots of sloppy practice. :-)

> So it's _got_ to be a JSP issue... right?  Maybe a Tomcat server
> setting?  Is there a non-conventional way in which JSP pages call out
> for CSS styles?

No. But you're asking for trouble with your later example using a
relative link to your CSS. The file system path for a JSP page may
not reflect the URL path at all (due to the servlet container's ability
to forward requests).

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com