[thelist] correct use of alt and title attributes

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Tue Sep 12 09:33:32 CDT 2006

On Sep 11, 2006, at 11:19 PM, Christian Heilmann wrote:

>>> In short: for consistency across browsers, include a TITLE attribute
>>> any time you use ALT, unless the ALT tag is empty (e.g. alt="").
>>> //tip/
>>
>> You provide an empty title (which could mean that blind users
>> don't get any information at all) to work around a wrong
>> implementation of the title attribute in MSIE6.

(Actually, working around a wrong implementation of alt attribute,
not title.)

Are you saying that title obscures alt for blind users?  First I've
heard of it.  I would consider that a *seriously* wrong
implementation on the part of the screen reader in question.  If
there is an appropriate alt tag in place, the screen reader should
use it, by definition, as an alternate to the image.

I'm asking seriously:  Do some screen readers omit the alt when
there's a title present?  Which ones do this?

Stephen Rider