[thelist] US Judge rules that ADA applies to websites

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 11:08:43 CDT 2006

On 9/12/06, Tab Alleman <talleman at lumpsum.com> wrote:
> This section 508 seems to apply only to the Federal Government (and its contractors, perhaps).  We're just a private company that's about to become a publicly traded one, so I don't think this applies to us.

Yes, it does not apply to private sector, only public sector (not just
federal, though). However, this thread is about how Target (private
sector) may be liable for having a website that does not comply with
the Americans with Disabilities Act. Just because your company is in
the private sector does not mean it can ignore accessibility
standards, and the current case with Target may end up proving that.

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA