[thelist] US Judge rules that ADA applies to websites

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Tue Sep 12 13:25:52 CDT 2006

Matt Warden wrote:
<snip>
> The original motivation to pay me was increase in productivity. So
> where is the motivation to pay me to offer an ADA-compliant
> alternative, if there is little or no productivity gain?
>
> Avoiding a lawsuit, I guess.

I think you are looking at it wrong. The question is "is there a
productivity gain *for that type of user*".

Yes, the non-ajax click through every page paradigm would be slower for
normal users. But you aren't forcing them to use it. That version is for
people using alternate access methods. Is that version more productive
for people using alternate access methods? I would certainly say yes, if
the alternative is that they can't use the app. You are increasing
productivity for the broadest class of users with your ajax stuff and
then providing a workable solution for other users. That is the highest
level of productive gain possible. So what's your issue?

Judah