[thelist] Reading a PDF file with PHP?

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Mon Sep 18 16:33:26 CDT 2006

Brooking, John wrote:
> "Can I read a PDF file with PHP?" and "Why can't I find any examples of reading a PDF?" I've found lots of people asking these questions, but no exact answers. All the libraries and products I've looked at talk about creating documents, but nothing about opening existing ones and parsing them.

I'm not sure I understand the question... not sure what PHP would
"think" while reading.

I'm guessing you might be wanting to extract and manipulate data from
parts of a PDF file, but we readers can't tell whether you're limiting
yourself to simple brochureware documents, documents with simple forms,
documents with forms that have transferrable data, documents with a
server component, documents without reading permissions, etc. Hard to
point to useful resources in such a situation.

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd