[thelist] Access Forms vs. PHP for website admin

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Tue Sep 19 08:47:19 CDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 00:41 -0600, Tony Grimes wrote:
> I'm developing an online PHP/MySQL registration app for a client's course
> calendar and I'm wondering how to manage the administration. My clients need
> a lot of Access-like functionality where they can generate name tags and
> confirmation letters based on templates.
>
> I know there's PDF-generation software out there for PHP, but I'd like to
> build a system where the client can open a confirmation letter template in
> Word to make content and formatting changes. The app could then take the
> template and send personalized confirmation letters to all registered
> attendees as an attached PDF.
>
> Is this possible to do in PHP, or should I just build the admin panel in
> Access and connect to MySQL via ODBC? I have no experience creating Access
> forms, so PHP would be the more desirable option (unless creating Access
> forms is stupid easy).

Why re-invent the wheel? Have them generate the pdf with what ever PC
tools they normally use, then you can create some templates for them to
use with PHP List and they can upload/attach from there.

PHPlist is quite nice, albeit a little complicated until you are
familiar with it, it's is very kind to your mail server. They recently
put a new web site up, you'll be re-directed from the links here:

http://tincan.co.uk/

cheers,

	Mark