[thelist] Easy redirect method within site

Dave Stevens evolt at davestevens.co.uk
Wed Sep 20 05:09:01 CDT 2006

Jim Callender wrote:
> Ive got a URL: www.website.com/about/about.htm
>
> and I want to have it redirect to the /about.htm when the address is just
>
> www.website.com/about/
>
> I realise I can do this if i just rename it to index.htm, but i prefer to
> have the file name as a keyword for SEO purposes.

Hi Jim,

Assuming your host allows .htaccess files, place this in an empty file
in your favourite text editor:

DirectoryIndex about.htm

Then save the file as ".htaccess" (without the quotes!)
Upload this file to your server in the about/ folder, ensuring that the
filename is .htaccess - no extension, nothing before the dot.

A better explanation than I could ever give is here:
http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess6.shtml

.htaccess files are very powerful, so I recommend having a google for
them to learn some more - you won't regret it!

Cheers
Dave