[thelist] IIS mod_rewrite

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri Sep 22 22:38:44 CDT 2006

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Rick den Haan
: Subject: Re: [thelist] IIS mod_rewrite
:
: On 9/22/06, Ken Schaefer <Ken at adopenstatic.com> wrote:
: >
: > ASP.NET and your own custom HTTPModule or HTTPHandler. Either of which
: > can rewrite requests for you...
: Ken,
:
: ASP.NET is a brand-new ballpark for me, I have no experience with that
: language whatsoever. However, I imagine you're referring to something like
: this article: http://www.15seconds.com/issue/030522.htm
:
: I've skimmed through it and I think I get the general gist of the
: language's
: syntax (it appears quite similar to Java) and what the code is trying to
: accomplish. If I have the time, I'll walk through a couple of tutorials on
: ASP.NET and C#, but for this current project I don't think that's going to
: happen. Might be useful for future projects, though.

ASP.NET (like ASP) is a framework - you can write your ASP.NET code in
whatever .NET compliant language you like (C#, VB.NET are the two most
popular, but you certainly use Managed C++ if you want, or IronPython.
Wikipedia lists about 20 languages you can use:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_.NET_Languages)

ASP is a dead-end technology and has been since about 2002 when .NET v1 came
out. Whilst I can understand that the customer has an investment in their
existing solution, a migration plan is probably something they want to look
at. ASP.NET is designed to solve a lot of the issues that we had with ASP
(for example ASP had no real event pipeline - you needed to hook into IIS'
pipeline via ISAPI Filters. ASP.NET has it's own pipeline that you can hook
into easily with per-application defined handlers and modules).

Cheers
Ken