[thelist] Javascript - forcing a post request instead of get?

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 13:43:02 CDT 2006

On 9/26/06, Tom Dell'Aringa <pixelmech at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a wierd question, but an engineer asked me today if when popping a
> window (or say even opening content in an iframe) if we could force the http
> request to be a post instead of a get. I at first thought no, but I'm
> wondering if you can use the http request object to do it, like a lot of
> ajax stuff is done. Seems to me when you are pulling content from somewhere
> via URL, it's always going to be a GET, but correct me if I am wrong.
> (Please CC me directly on any answers, thanks!)

I'll resist my temptation to ask 'why'.

But, yes, you can force requests to be post by using options that
allow you to specify the request method. This essentially limits you
to forms, unless you want to use ajax and update everything
dynamically (overkill, if this is the only benefit you're reaping).

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA