[thelist] Help a journalist (again): best/worst interview questions?

Jay Blanchard jblanchard at pocket.com
Wed Oct 4 21:07:21 CDT 2006

[snip]

[/snip]

I interview folks almost every week now and I can look at the resume and
see that they have the technical skills. HR usually screens them some
for me to get a resume that closely matches the job description. I need
to find a fit for the team. I have been interviewing folks for many,
many years now. I have quit giving tests during interviews.

So I do a brief tour through the tech side of things and then I ask,
"What is your passion?"

This can go a couple of different ways....sometimes work related,
sometimes not. Whichever way it goes I always seek the opposite as well.
Here are some others I use;

What are you reading right now? (or last book read)
What magazines do you subscribe to?
What was the last movie you saw in a theater?
Do you consider Stripes to be Bill Murrays' definitive work?

I use these and some others no matter the IT position that I am hiring
for. I always hold the first interview to 1/2 hour and require it be in
person. The second gets more in-depth and can be face 2 face or on the
phone.