[thelist] MySQL User Problem

Randal Rust randalrust at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 11:39:12 CDT 2006

I think that my understanding of what goes on in MySQL -- how users
and permissions are managed -- is wrong.

In the mysql.user table, I have defined a user...

Host: localhost
Username: dba
Password: foo

...and granted all permissions to that user.

Next, I have added this to the mysql.db table...

Host: localhost
Db: test_db
User: dba

However, when I try to connect (via ADODB and PHP), I continue to get
this error:

Access denied for user 'dba'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I am trying to set this up through PHPMyAdmin, but I don't know if
that has anything to do with it. Usually, I have a control panel that
I am using that walks me through this. However, on this particular
site, the client is running their own server, sans a control panel.

Where am I going wrong?

--
Randal Rust
R.Squared Communications