[thelist] Freelanceer to merge with larger company - ideas please

Chris Dempsey evolt at cubeit.co.uk
Fri Oct 13 05:08:52 CDT 2006

Hi,

I've been working essentially freelance for the past 5 years and have built
up a reasonable client base.  I've been approached by a larger company who
are considering asking me to join them - an option that is very attractive
to me.

Obviously this situation is a little different to than if I worked as a web
developer and simply wanted to change employer as I will be bringing a
client base that spends a fair bit of money each year into their company.

I'm due to sit down with them again in a few hours to discuss options for
the merger and I could use some suggestions for what options I should be
focusing on.

My major concern is that I take paid employment and they drop me after a few
months and I loose my client base.  What can I look for to give myself some
protection against this?

I guess I'm really looking for some ideas about what it would be reasonable
for me to ask for eg:

- Fixed salary plus percentage cut of the money my clients spend [this was
their initial suggestion]
- Them to buy my client base at a fixed price and I take a salary from them
- I take a salary only but have option to retain my client base should I
ever leave or be asked to leave
- Any value to asking to be brought in as a director? [I'm not too clued up
on whether this would offer any value or security to myself]

All comments welcome.

Thanks,

Chris.