[thelist] look and feel compromises

ben morrison morrison.ben at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 10:03:03 CDT 2006

On 25/10/06, apathetic <apatheticgenius at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've really enjoyed this thread so far.
>
> I'd just like to add that if you are producing the design yourself, the
> ability to design something that will also be easy to code comes with
> experience.  Things get slightly trickier if you need to negotiate with
> a graphic designer to side-step something that will very time consuming
> to implement.
>
> Using tables for part of a layout isn't the end of the world.  You could
> implement it the easy way now, and set yourself the challenge of
> improving the HTML/CSS later.

When i design I actually try and take off my 'coding hat' so to speak,
its best to forget about what is/not possible easy/hard to code
otherwise you can get bogged down in specifics when you should really
be concentrating on visual appeal, whitespace, colour balance,
typography, conveying the correct message etc.

I also think that 'web design' has moved on from the initial brochure
to web page phenonmenon and also the flash/table-based designs where
vertical align played a big part, generally I avoid vertical align and
concentrate on margins/paddings and white space, as others have
pointed out, font-resizing is a big issue, so use containing blocks
for 'bulletproofing'

ben
--
Ben Morrison