[thelist] RSS Feed version

Pierre-Henri Lavigne lavigne at getphuture.com
Sat Nov 4 04:23:16 CST 2006

Howdy Paul,

I posted a similar question on the WSG mailing list a few weeks ago and
one of this answer was :

==
I would recommend you pick one that does what you need and stick with it.
I'm not the only person who feels this way:
http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/2006/05/25/Pick-ONE
==

I admit it's not so easy. For example, such guru as A list apart decided
to support only RSS 2.0 (http://www.alistapart.com/feed/) and the w3 to
support only the RSS 1.0 on their site. Anyway for various reasons you
may decide support both primary format, RSS and ATOM. In this way you
should consider to keep one version for each format. Outside my
professional work I'm working as volunteer to renew the code of the
scummvm.org site. They decided before I came to support both. I updated
to a standard way and you can find an example of RSS 2.0 and ATOM 1.0 here :
http://www.scummvm.org/feed-rss20.php
http://www.scummvm.org/feed-atom.php

Anyway I'm not the best to advise you for a high traffic site but I
suppose bandwidth is important so maybe in your case one feed should be
enough and if RSS 2.0 is the best choice. They are some informations on
wiki about differences between rss and atom.

I performed a fast search about some french gov site and I'm shure this
is not an objective stat but 1/5was was using both and the others rss
2.0 only. Not shure they decided from themself 'cause we did some state
public gov sites at my work and some tools such as SPIP were set to one
RSS 2.0 feed hehe

Regards,

Pierre-Henri Lavigne
Cell Phone: +33618753267