[thelist] site speed

Julian Rickards julian.rickards at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 19:09:40 CST 2006

If you offload as many of the foreground images to the background using CSS,
then the content, HTML, that remains will be relatively fast and the images
will come in later. This would help.

You obviously know about the Web Site Optimization book/web site so you also
will know that the CSS file and images referenced within it, are cached by
the browser so on subsequent pages, theses components will appear much more
quickly. (This doesn't really deal with the busy home page though before
caching can take its effect.)

Try to avoid too many images, use the best image for the job (JPEG, PNG,
GIF).

HTH,

Jules

--