[thelist] Captcha??

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Thu Nov 9 14:11:14 CST 2006

Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:
> Do people really still use Matt's formmail script?

Yes, (a lot of web hosting providers still include them as canned
services for their hosting customers!) but the conscientious ones have
long since switched to "nms" (Not Matt's Scripts?), updated and
rewritten with security holes all nicely plugged, and now actively
maintained and available from sourceforge.

Even Matt has endorsed th project that forked his code:

  From "nms as recommended by Matt Wright"
  http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/about.html

In May 2002, Matt Wright gave the MSA web site a major redesign. He
included a page about nms. Here are a couple of extracts.

  "While the free code found at my web site has not
  evolved much in recent years, the general programming
  practices and standards of CGI programs have. nms is
  an attempt by very active programmers in the Perl
  community to bring the quality of code for these
  types of programs up to date and eliminate some of
  the bad programming practices and bugs found in the
  existing Matt's Script Archive code."

  "I would highly recommend downloading the nms versions
  if you wish to learn CGI programming. The code you
  find at Matt's Script Archive is not representative
  of how even I would code these days."

-dave