[thelist] AOL strange behaviour on search

Sarah Adams mr.sanders at geekjock.ca
Thu Nov 23 08:44:37 CST 2006

> I have a website http://www.serekundapoodles.com which is readily
> searchable by typing 'serekunda poodles' in the popular search engines.
>
> The client, whose website this is, uses AOL as his ISP and when he
> searches using AOL's customized search facility he can only find his
> website by typing in the full url. Unfortunately many of the people who
> wish to view the website are in the USA and also use AOL and, unless
> they remember the url they cannot find the website.

I noticed that the AOL search page says "enhanced by google", and since
the AOL search only returns 14 results, whereas google returns 237,
obviously they aren't using google's exact search results.

I don't have much help to offer as to why this is happening, but in
terms of search engine optimization, it would certainly help if the work
"serekunda" were in the <title> of the home page.

--
sarah adams
web developer & programmer