[thelist] SharePoint 2003 Security on Quick Launch

Rob Smith rob.smith at lexjet.com
Tue Nov 28 06:46:47 CST 2006

Hey listeroos,

I started building our Intranet in 07, but we decided to wait for final
release and redeveloped the site in SharePoint 2003.

We were wondering if the Quick Launch links can be visible based upon
site security/groups, not group permissions or user/group functionality.
And on that note, I've since taken the Quick Launch bar and customized
it using generic anchor tags, nothing special, in FrontPage 2003. For
example, I want to have a Vice President only site with webparts and
such. But only VP's or whom they designate can see the link in the quick
launch area.

We're ultimately going to make this Intranet site under the https://
protocol so we'll know who's logged in from the start (i.e.
domain\uname) and can easily hide or show certain areas of the quick
launch bar with a simple if else statement embedded at that level of the
code. That is not the optimal solution to a growing company. We were
hoping to harness the native security settings inside SharePoint 2003

Any help is appreciated!

Rob Smith
LexJet
rob.smith at lexjet.com