[thelist] Interesting Sites

Barney Carroll barney at textmatters.com
Tue Nov 28 10:41:41 CST 2006

M. Seyon wrote:
> Design, like art, can be such a subjective thing though. But yet design is
> not art, not boundary-less art, at any rate. These sites might look lovely
> to some, and hence be wonderful as "pieces of art" but when all the
> graphics slow my poor hunk of a computer to a crawl, I wouldn't say they're
> particularly well designed.

Hehehe. What ticks me off is the refusal to desist of excessively ornate
floral motifs, the painful cliche of dark slate blue with border-less,
highly spaced text containers (and contrast used exclusively for
irritating visuals and never for the text which is illegible), and
ultra-cheerful sans over garish colours. A lot of those are excessive
exuberance that utterly saturate the senses, and apart from technical
accomplishment and the w3c ticks, don't really achieve much.

I think the real triumphs are the ones that cleverly combine flash and
css as purely visual elements while still retaining solid markup.
http://www.booreiland.nl deserves a special prize for that. Ticks all my
boxes, including ones I didn't know I had.