[thelist] tuning MySQL

Matt McKeon matt at camadro.com
Tue Nov 28 13:45:53 CST 2006

This week at work we just got a new MySQL DB server because the our old
one was fading fast. So, I started to moved some of the traffic over to
it and its a Xeon 2.4ghz with 2GB RAM. I would think it would hold up
pretty well as just a DB server, but after a few hours of use it started
to kack.

After 2.5 hours with about 20k of queries 11k of them failed according
to phpMyAdmin.
So I'm asking what can I do to optimize this? I have primary keys and
the scripts that are connecting to it are only doing 1-2 SELECT's and 1
UPDATE
I increased max_connections, and query_cache_size but it just isn't
doing it. I'm just not sure where to begin to look for bottle necks. Any
suggestions?

thanks,
 matt