[thelist] a malicious site?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Fri Dec 1 04:26:12 CST 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 22:07 -0500, Brent Eades wrote:
> I go that too. There's something odd going on with that page. The
> Firefox prompt is asking you what want to do with a URL that begins with
> mms:// (which is Microsoft's proprietary streaming media protocol, for
> serving its own formats such as .wmv, etc)... but ends with a .swf file
> (i.e., Flash.)
>
> *To my knowledge* one doesn't usually serve up Flash animations with the
> mms protocol... these days you would normally use rtsp://, or whatever
> is the latest protocol for streaming Flash.

Last I checked Flash is normally served up via HTTP just like anything
else. Of course you would never serve up Flash via mms, as it would
break the site completely in some situations, particularly on operating
systems (such as GNU variants and other Unix-like systems) where
Microsoft Windows Media Player is not available (if for no other reason
Microsoft decided it wasn't in their best interest to port it, even
though demand exists). Granted, of course, some of these operating
systems don't have recent versions of the Flash plugin (though I hear
Gnash is coming along nicely for the ones Adobe forgot).

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>