[thelist] Site Check: Is it accessible?

Donna Jones donnajjones at gwi.net
Fri Dec 1 09:50:10 CST 2006

> One of the reasons I mentioned that I have a bit of difficulty when there is
> low contrast between foreground text and background images is because
> accessibility isn't just about the blind and how they use JAWS or Fangs but
> also about people who have sight but problems with their sight such as poor
> vision (requiring larger text), color-blindness and in my case, a problem
> with contrasts (I don't know if there is a name for this, I have never had
> it evaluated). Therefore, a valid, semantic HTML page could be rendered
> inaccessible for some depending on how the CSS was crafted. JAWS and Fang
> users wouldn't have a problem so running those applications would not find
> CSS-created color-contrast issues.

Yes, I hope you didn't think I was negating your comment about contrast.
  There are a "whole heap" of issues that Jaws and Fangs don't address.
  One of my main ones is keyboard accessibility, mobility issues.  I
don't have mobility issues but i'm a big "keyboard" fan and think that
using the keyboard can help avoid carpal tunnel and such, so its all
connected in my mind.

Accessibility is fascinating, at least to me, and "it" does go on and on.

cheers
Donna

--
Donna Jones