[thelist] IE yellow form field backgrounds on email/postcode

Donna Jones donnajjones at gwi.net
Sun Dec 3 02:02:13 CST 2006

> I stripped the whole thing down to nothing as you can see here
> <http://www.johnallsopp.co.uk/test2/test.html>. In IE6, and recently
> upgraded to IE7 over XP, the top three fields have a lemon yellow
> background.
>
> The only thing that seems to make the background white is if I
> disguise the text description, removing the keywords phone, postcode
> and email and replacing them with nonsense. You can see I've tried to
> style the background of one of them but that doesn't seem to have
> worked.

> I presume I've discovered some wild 'helpful' feature of IE that
> everyone else has discussed at length, but it's a new one on me. Could
> someone enlighten me what's going on and perhaps offer an opinion on
> whether I should override it or not.

I think you "discovered" some wild helpful feature of the Google
toolbar!  I think the yellow indicates fields that could/can be filled
in automatically.  Do you have that toolbar installed?  I don't, and
looking at it with IE7 I don't see the yellow.

There may be a fix for it but someone else will have to tell you about it.

ah, i forgot, i do have the google toolbar, just don't keep it "on".
just turned it on and yes, the first three are yellow.  (now to turn
that sucker back off).

best
Donna

> Cheers