[thelist] Coding standards.... [headers]

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Fri Dec 8 13:19:47 CST 2006

> that h1 means 'first header', h2 means 'second header' etc. - if this
> logic is followed, we are restricted to a maximum of 6 headers per
> page

clarification: other than <h1> (and I could be wrong about that) other
headers can create parallel branches; more than one <h2> under the <h1>,
more than one <h3> under <h2>, etc.

thus:

h1
  h2
    h3
  h2
    h3
    h3
      h4
        h5
  h2
    h3
      h4

except now that I ponder it, I could be making it all up. time for a
trip to the spec, which'll have to wait 'til later.

re: this:

> the notion that something's position in the page should be
> dictated in its element name

not position; that's CSS. heading tags are the *meaning* of the content,
not its position. but, of course, the most meaningful thing should come
first, then the next most meaningful, etc. (inverted pyramid/news story
type writing - of course, if you're writing fiction or are a good enough
writer to break the rules, it's all out the window!)

again, this is purely a discussion of semantics, not The Real World(tm)

joel