[thelist] Coding standards.... [headers]

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Mon Dec 11 09:47:47 CST 2006

> of w3c... What about books? Seriously, the culture of literature is a
> massive thing with plenty of examples - memory can join hands
> with idle
> theory!

your example, coupled with the reference to print, looks as if you're
using the heading tags for their appearance. if you like the visual
formatting of <h3> for your second level headings, style your <h2) to
look however you want; appearance doesn't matter as much to screen
readers, etc. as *semantics* do.

*semantically*, how can you have a 'first heading' and a 'third heading'
with no 'second heading'

picture me, standing in front of an audience speaking. "Our first item
is blah. Our third item is blah blah blah. There was no second item."

I'm trying to understand your perspective, but it keeps coming back to
the appearance that you're focusing on, um, appearance. Yes?

joel