[thelist] Coding standards.... [headers]

Julian Rickards julian.rickards at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 10:37:07 CST 2006

I was going to raise a similar point but I decided against it: now I have to
comment on yours.

In the same way that it is "dangerous" to select an HTML element based on
its appearance (default or CSS-styled), it also is "dangerous" to play with
CSS. For example, by styling some H3s to look like H2s so although the HTML
structure may use one pattern, the styling makes sighted people think the
structure is different than it really is.

Now, there are exceptions that I would be willing to consider. For example,
let's say that you want a heading to precede a glossary at the bottom of the
page. You may decide that H2 is the appropriate heading level but because
the glossary is outside of the primary discussion, you want to style it
differently and that would be fine by me.

Jules

--
Website: http://jrickards.ca
Blog: http://pen-and-ink.ca