[thelist] Coding standards.... [headers]

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 12:21:56 CST 2006

On 12/11/06, Barney Carroll <barney at textmatters.com> wrote:
> Forgive me for saying so... But it's almost as if we're trying to decide
> for ourselves what these things might be from a vacuum and the guidance
> of w3c... What about books? Seriously, the culture of literature is a
> massive thing with plenty of examples - memory can join hands with idle
> theory!
>
> <h1>Putting HTML in context</h1>
> SGML to present day XML and XHTML. It is important, before we delve into
> a history of the 'ML', to draw attention to two key recent conceptions
> which must be made distinct in order to better understand the world
> without them.</p>
>
> <h3>The Document Object Model</h3>
> the key method for browser clients to treat markup, and in turn it took
> a strong role in shaping how developers and authors thought of
> extensible markup.</p>
> at level 1 was not as malleable as we now rely on it being.</p>
>
> <h3>DHTML</h3>
> term recently - for good reasons. It is not a markup language proper in
> the sense that XHTML, HTML and XML are distinct - rather DHTML
> represents the use of HTML, CSS and ECMAscript (more commonly known as
> javascript) - but its implication, even of the division of such
> languages, is very significant to the way attitudes to markup differed
> before and after its inception.</p>
>
> <h2>SGML: The beginning of everything</h2>

All you are doing here is omitting the second-level header
"Introduction" in the first section.

Your paragraph 1 is not related to your h1 any more than any of the
other paragraphs, even though you put that paragraph directly under
the h1. There is an h2 there, whether you display it or not. If
anything, your example makes it more clear that header levels should
follow the typical outline document flow (h1, h2, h3, etc.).

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA