[thelist] subdomain or dns hijacking problem

J.C. Johnson lead at offlead.com
Thu Dec 14 20:44:33 CST 2006

Thanks Max. I wasn't entirely sure where to start on this, having run
through the extent of my existing knowledge earlier this afternoon. Yes, one
would think I could just turn this issue over to my hosting company. That's
a discussion for a whole different thread, and we were already planning on
moving to another company at the first of the year. Looks like our timeline
is being moved up.

Yes, this issue is occurring from any machine. In fact, I learned of the
problem after being contacted by a law enforcement officer in another state
yesterday. It was only when I went looking for the rogue subdomains that
were supposedly on my machine that I discovered that they are not, in fact,
on my machine.

I've now looked at the zone file for this and other domains on my server. As
far as I can tell, it's all the way it is supposed to be. I see only entries
for mail, www and ftp, and then one entry for dev and one for www.dev, dev
being the only subdomain I've actually set up myself on that domain. The IP
address listed is correct for these entries.

Jeniffer