[thelist] PHP - get one directory from a path?

Robert Douglas robert.douglas at rightmove.co.uk
Wed Dec 20 04:51:57 CST 2006

Hey Stephen,

Using the 'explode' function on your url creates an array of your
directories - you can then access each of the directory names
individually.

Eg.
$urlToExplode = dirName($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']); // This gives us just the
path of the current page (in your case '/main/something/inner')
$delimiter = "/";
$explodedUrl = explode(delimiter,urlToExplode);
$middleDirectory = $explodedUrl[1];

It may not be the most elegant solution and you could reduce it to a
couple lines, but as a beginner it makes sense to me as I can see the
component parts as I debug.

Good luck,
Rob.

Message: 2