[thelist] Screen Resolution, which to design for?

Mark Howells webdev at mountain.ch
Mon Jan 15 04:38:03 CST 2007

> We're working on a new website for a client, and the question came up
> about which would be the best, or most commonly used screen resolution
> to design for.

You should assess the potential or intended site audience and base
your assumptions according to the target audience. Users in large
offices may have larger screens, whilst laptop and home users are
likely to have smaller resolutions. Whichever you go for, you should
make the content available to browsers of all sizes, even if layout
may not be optimally viewed at (for example) smaller screen sizes.

As a guide, these stats are from websites visited which have counters
installed:

http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2006/December/res.php

Mark Howells
- www.permanenttourist.ch