[thelist] Screen Resolution, which to design for?

Bob Meetin ontheroad at frii.com
Mon Jan 15 08:39:12 CST 2007

Really nice resource...  Coincidentally, when I was with a client last
week and showing her some sites on her 'widescreen' laptop, I found some
pages on mine that were sightly skewed in IE on her PC.  She was
gracious enough to let me borrow her laptop for a couple days.  My
laptop is typically set at 1024x768, but I occasionally adjust it
up/down, and/or use the chrispedericktoolbar to checking 800x600.  This
I could not have replicated.

Slightly skewed - on the widescreen in IE some pages were squished,
distorted, but also some positioning muffed which I fixed.  The gotcha
here is that it is easy to unwittingly design a site to work with IE and
firefox on a conventional perspective screen, but not work as expected
on widescreen.  And of course Firefox was totally happy.

The resource really puts the wasted real estate in perspective.