[thelist] Accessibility/usability of "Select Option" at top of list

Steven Streight steven.streight at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 10:39:16 CST 2007

Thanks for the clarification. But still, "Select Option" is lazy. It should
say "Select _______________", e.g., "Select Country" or "Select Version" or
"Select Search Type".

Here is a quote from Jakob Nielsens' alertbox "The Power of Defaults" at his
Use It site:

[QUOTE]

Defaults make two essential contributions to usability:

   - By showing a *representative value*, they serve as just-in-time
   instructions to help users understand how to complete a field.
   - By showing a *frequent value*, they help users understand the
   commonly expected response, as opposed to more atypical ones. You can use
   this knowledge for sales purposes -- for example, by pre-selecting the
   one-year option in a subscription interface that also offers monthly
   payments. But, if you consistently pick the most expensive option as the
   default, you'll lose credibility, so don't overdo it.

By educating and guiding users, default values help reduce errors. It's
therefore important to select helpful defaults, rather than those based on
the first letter of the alphabet or whatever the first option on your
original list happened to be.

[END QUOTE]