[thelist] Accessibility/usability of "Select Option" at top of list

Steven Streight steven.streight at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 12:00:14 CST 2007

Julian Rickards asked:

On many forms, we see something to the effect of "Select Option" as the
first option in a select list. Does anyone see an accessibility or usability
issues with having this "invalid" option?

Maybe I'm not visualizing correctly what the actual scenario is here, but
why would you have any option pre-selected, in this case an invalid option?

If you wish users to interact with the form, do not pre-select anything,
have no default value, and use a (web norm) red typefont Error Message
appear saying "All asterisked items must be filled in for us to process your
input" or similar.

Or am I missing something here?

Steven Streight aka Vaspers the Grate
Web Usability. Blog Revolution. Online Marketing.