[thelist] Parsing a Yahoo! Weather RSS Feed with PHP/MagpieRSS

Ben Glassman bglassman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 16:59:51 CST 2007

Hi all,

A client is looking to have weather conditions on their web site. I know
there are easier solutions (that are less flexible), but I am trying to use
MagpieRSS[1] to parse a Yahoo! Weather RSS feed and only display select
parts.

It was easy to get MagpieRSS to parse the feed, but it seems as though it is
ignoring some of the nodes/elements. Particularly, there are
yweather:conditions and yweather:forecast elements with attributes containg
temperature and other information I want and they just aren't showing up at
all in the MagpieRSS object that magpie creates from the feed.

You can see a print_r of the object here
http://www.vtdesignworks.com/clients2/magpie/
You can see the full RSS feed here
http://weather.yahooapis.com/forecastrss?p=05404

Any suggestions on what is causing these elements to be left out would be
wonderful.

Thanks a lot,

Ben

[1] http://magpierss.sourceforge.net/