[thelist] Ways to assess 'potential' site visitors

bill scheider bill at first-encounter-design.com
Tue Jan 16 13:31:56 CST 2007

Hi all,

I hope this is the correct forum for this question. In the discussion of the
past few days on proper screen resolutions to design for, Mark stated (in
part): "You should assess the potential or intended site audience and base
your assumptions according to the target audience."

This is a statement in various guises that we come across on lists, in
conversations and in books on web design. When we're dealing with developing
sites for businesses who already have sites, we often have various forms of
feedback from visitors and analytics to draw on.

I'm wondering (again) what ways you all use to make educated guesses (or
better) about the equipment and habits of potential users of clients who are
bringing their business to the web for the first time?

Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated>

Bill Scheider